Great attention to detail and particular strengths in high-value medical negligence claimsLegal 500 UK
Una Doherty has been ranked in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 editions of the Legal 500 UK Bar Directory, as a leading junior (Tier 1) in Personal Injury, Medical Negligence and Professional Negligence.
- 2015 edition: “Great attention to detail and particular strengths in high-value medical negligence claims.”
- 2016 edition: “An impressive ability to assimilate a lot of technical information very quickly.”
- 2017 edition: “Reliable and well organised.”
She has also been ranked for clinical negligence in the 2017 and 2018 editions of Chambers UK Bar Guide.
- 2017 edition: “Very able and efficient. She’s insightful and good at analysing cases.” “She’s always very well prepared.”
- 2018 edition: “She grasps legal concepts very well, is very tenacious in court, gives very clear advice and is hands-on.” “She has a very broad grasp of how things work on both the defendant and claimant side and is very effective in reaching sensible settlements.”
Una has a varied civil practice which covers a range of reparation and commercial disputes, although her main areas of practice are in personal injury and clinical negligence claims. She is instructed both for pursuers and for defenders and acts for clients ranging from individual litigants to insurers and public bodies. She is regularly instructed by the NHS Central Legal Office. She has extensive experience of high value personal injury claims including those involving catastrophic brain injuries. In the area of clinical negligence, she regularly acts in multi-million pound claims, including cerebral palsy cases.
She has been an Ad Hoc Advocate Depute since 2013, and in that role prosecutes criminal cases in the High Court.
She has been a Legal Assessor to the General Teaching Council of Scotland since 2017, advising panels on questions of law and procedure that arise in Fitness to Teach proceedings.
In 2017, she became a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators after completing an International Arbitration Law course at the University of Aberdeen.
Recent selected cases:
Confidentiality prohibits the details of the numerous claims which have settled without recourse to the courts or in the course of proof.
- Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide2 November, 2017
- “Ampersand houses ‘an excellent group’ of advocates” – Strong showing for Ampersand in latest Legal 500 listings11 October, 2017
- Una Doherty appointed as part-time Legal Assessor15 May, 2017
- Successful defence in midwifery negligence action7 February, 2017
- Fatal Accident Inquiry into the death of Antony Storrie11 November, 2016