Planning & Environmental
Ampersand has a deserved reputation as being at the forefront of planning and environmental law in Scotland.
With considerable depth of experience to call upon, our members can advise on all aspects: such as statutory consent regimes, environmental impact assessment procedures, compulsory purchase and compensation.
The stable excels in major development and infrastructure projects, and has achieved pre-eminence in energy related casework. Counsel appear regularly at public inquiries and in judicial review cases, including high profile challenges in the Inner House and Supreme Court. Examples include:
- Public Inquiry into the Edinburgh trams project
- CPO for redevelopment of St James Centre, Edinburgh
- Public Inquiry into Beauly to Denny overhead power line
- Supreme Court case of Sustainable Shetland v Scottish Ministers (large onshore wind farm on mainland Shetland)
- Inner House case of RSPB v Scottish Ministers (major offshore wind farm development)
- Various Public Inquires into wind farm proposals under the Electricity Act 1989
Ampersand counsel are attuned to the needs of clients, always mindful of commercial or regulatory concerns. They have ear of the decision-maker and the respect of their peers
- Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide1 November, 2018
- “Ampersand’s advocates attract praise for their ‘excellent depth and breadth of knowledge’” – in latest Legal 500 UK Bar listings29 October, 2018
- Ampersand welcomes Alexander Sutherland29 June, 2018
- Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide2 November, 2017
- Scottish Civil Justice Council publishes protective expenses order report1 November, 2017