Planning & Environmental
Ampersand has a deserved reputation as being at the forefront of planning and environmental law in Scotland.
With considerable depth of experience to call upon, our members can advise on all aspects: such as statutory consent regimes, environmental impact assessment procedures, compulsory purchase and compensation.
The stable excels in major development and infrastructure projects, and has achieved pre-eminence in energy related casework. Counsel appear regularly at public inquiries and in judicial review cases, including high profile challenges in the Inner House and Supreme Court.
- Public Inquiries into major infrastructure projects including the Edinburgh trams, Road upgrades, and redevelopment of St James Centre
- Public inquiries into controversial development proposals such as the redevelopment of the former Royal High School, Edinburgh, and a proposed golf course at Coul Links, near Dornoch
- Public Inquiries into Beauly to Denny and Thurso to Gills Bay overhead power lines
- Supreme Court case of Sustainable Shetland v Scottish Ministers (large onshore wind farm on mainland Shetland)
- Inner House case of RSPB v Scottish Ministers (major offshore wind farm development)
- Various Public Inquires into wind farm proposals under the Electricity Act 1989
Ampersand counsel are attuned to the needs of clients, always mindful of commercial or regulatory concerns. They have ear of the decision-maker and the respect of their peers. With that in mind, Ampersand have launched Ampersand Direct Planning to support those needing legal representation in Planning and Public Inquiry work, which you can read more about below.