Absolutely brilliant. Very approachable and very thorough. Her expertise is wide ranging and the advice she gives is clear and concise. She is proactive and extremely brightChambers & Partners 2018
‘ A first-class legal mind who deals well with complicated cases. ’Legal 500 2020
‘Particularly recommended for shipping and infrastructure work. ’
‘ A first-class planning junior. ’
Laura-Anne van der Westhuizen has a civil practice with particular emphasis on commercial law, planning and environmental law and public law. She is listed in the Legal 500 and in Chambers & Partners in various practice areas. Since calling to the bar in 2009 Laura-Anne has been instructed in a variety of general commercial matters including company and insolvency matters, contractual disputes and shipping matters. She has been instructed for developers and local authorities in planning disputes, for interested parties in fatal accident and public inquiries, and in relation to judicial reviews.
Laura-Anne has extensive advocacy experience. Before calling to the Scottish bar she practised as an advocate in South Africa from 2002 and continues to hold membership at the Cape Bar. She called to the bar of England and Wales in 2008. She has appeared in the UK Supreme Court, Court of Session, the Sheriff Court and a wide range tribunals and inquiries.
She is a Standing Junior Counsel to the Scottish Government and is on the Equality and Human Rights Commission’s panel of counsel.
Laura-Anne is the winner of the Legal 500 UK Awards 2020 “Scottish Bar Junior of the Year” title, and was also shortlisted for the award in 2019.
Download Laura-Anne van der Westhuizen's CV
- New appointments of First Standing Junior and panel of Standing Junior Counsel to Scottish Government for Ampersand trio17 December, 2020
- Success for Historic Environment Scotland and City of Edinburgh Council at inquiry over future of Edinburgh landmark29 October, 2020
- Ampersand Advocates Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide22 October, 2020
- Ampersand Advocates celebrate Legal 500 Scottish Bar Silk and Junior of the year successes5 March, 2020
- Legal 500 Scottish Silk and Junior of the year success for Amperand advocate’s4 December, 2019