Ampersand is widely recognised as the leading set in Clinical Negligence at the Scottish Bar. Legal commentators remark that Ampersand is one of the “premier clinical negligence stables” and “continues to be recognised as one of the pre-eminent stables for medical negligence in Scotland. Both its senior and junior members consistently appear in market-leading cases, and it remains a go-to stable for high-value and complex cases”. Sources note that our members “knowledge of medicine and the issues which arise in brain injury cases is phenomenal.”
Our members are regularly instructed to represent private individuals, NHS Trusts, medical defence unions and private hospitals. Our members have been responsible for some of the most important and complex cases in this field including claims involving brain and spinal injuries and other catastrophic medical injuries, multi-party claims arising from the use of medical products and equipment, human rights, mental health issues and medical ethics.
Members of Ampersand are also experienced in helping their clients resolve Clinical liability disputes in a less litigious manner, whether through mediation or other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
- Decree of absolvitor for Forth Valley Health Board upheld by the Inner House5 April, 2021
- Ampersand silk speaking at International webinar by Commonwealth Lawyers Association15 March, 2021
- Judgment in RTA claim offering guidance on appointment between insurers and health care providers issued4 February, 2021
- Ampersand Advocates Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide22 October, 2020
- Comment by Lauren Sutherland QC – “First Do No Harm”: The report of the Independent Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Review13 July, 2020