0131 260 5674 (switchboard 9am to 5pm)
Ampersand Advocates have extensive experience of contentious tax disputes, in both direct tax as well as in VAT and other indirect taxes; customs and excise duties; land transaction and landfill taxes.
Our advocates appear regularly in the tax chamber of the First-tier Tribunal and in the Upper Tribunal of the UK tribunal system, as well as in the Court of Session. As devolved taxes are developing, we are seeing instructions in the context of disputes between taxpayers and Revenue Scotland.
Our counsel advise both HMRC/Revenue Scotland and taxpayers, a number of our members having been appointed as standing junior counsel either to the Advocate General or the Scottish Government as the case may be.
Tax matters often arise in contexts of EU law, corporate law, employment law, trusts and estates, or property law. Our advocates are experienced in advising in all of these areas.
Our expertise extends to defending enforcement actions by HMRC or representing taxpayers in the context of judicial review of HMRC or Revenue Scotland decisions.
Although expertise is focussed mainly on representation in tax appeals we can also offer advice in relation to tax planning.
To contact our clerks:
Telephone: 0131 260 5674 (switchboard 9am to 5pm)
- Ampersand Advocates continues Top Rankings success in 2023 Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide20 October, 2022
- Ampersand Advocates welcomes Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide 202221 October, 2021
- Ampersand Advocates Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide22 October, 2020
- Ampersand Advocates Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide11 October, 2019
- Ampersand Advocates ‘goes above and beyond at all times’ in latest Legal 500 UK Bar listings26 September, 2019