Civil Liberties, Human Rights & EU Law
Ampersand has a strong reputation in Civil Liberties and Human Rights case. We are home to some of the leading practitioners at the Scottish Bar in bringing and defending challenges to the decisions of public bodies including cases raising EU Law.
Commentators remark that Ampersand is “an esteemed stable that exhibits key strengths in the areas of employment, equality and EU law. Ampersand fields a formidable team of well-respected advocates who offer expert assistance and representation in complex civil liberties and human rights cases. Given its stellar reputation, Ampersand regularly wins instructions in the most high-profile, significant cases”. Notable recent cases members have been involved include the Brexit Supreme Case “case of the century” R (Miller & Anor) v Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, and high-profile judicial reviews concerning the ‘Named Person’ provisions in the Children and Young Persons (Scotland) Act 2014 and another landmark decision involving the rights of abuse victims to access legal aid to fight attempts to obtain medical records and R (Sandiford) v Foreign and Commonwealth Office considered whether the FCO is obliged to fund advocacy for British citizens facing the death penalty abroad.
- Ampersand Advocates welcomes Ian Forrester QC back to practice7 December, 2021
- Ampersand Advocates welcomes Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide 202221 October, 2021
- Ampersand Advocates ranked as top tier set by Legal 50018 October, 2021
- New panel of Standing Junior Counsel to the Advocate General for Scotland announced6 October, 2021
- Court rules that definition of Woman in the GRPB Act should include transwomen13 April, 2021