Administrative & Public Law
Ampersand has a strong reputation in public law litigation. We are home to some of the leading practitioners at the Scottish Bar in bringing and defending challenges to the decisions of public bodies including cases raising human rights issues.
The Legal 500 and Chambers say: “Ampersand offers expertise across a diverse range of public and administrative law cases, notably in the areas of commercial, planning, EU and human rights law. Within the public sector, the stable receives instructions from local authorities as well as the Scottish and UK governments. Advocates also represent corporations, charities and individual petitioners seeking to challenge legislation and public body decision-making.”
Our members regularly appear in the leading public law cases in the UK Supreme Court and the Court of Session. Notable recent cases members have been involved include the Brexit Supreme Court case R (Miller & Anor) v Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, and high-profile judicial reviews concerning the ‘Named Person’ provisions in the Children and Young Persons (Scotland) Act 2014 and another landmark decision involving the rights of abuse victims to access legal aid to fight attempts to obtain medical records.
Members are also instructed to appear in specialist tribunals including the First-Tier and Upper Tribunals as well as public inquiries.
- UKSC refuses permission to appeal in the matter of Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union v Wightman and others20 November, 2018
- Brexit: a role for judicial review15 November, 2018
- Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide1 November, 2018
- “Ampersand’s advocates attract praise for their ‘excellent depth and breadth of knowledge’” – in latest Legal 500 UK Bar listings29 October, 2018
- Andy Wightman MSP and others v Secretary of State for Exiting the EU21 September, 2018