Great attention to detail and particular strengths in high-value medical negligence claimsLegal 500 UK
Una Doherty QC has been ranked in the 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 editions of the Legal 500 UK Bar Directory for Personal Injury, Medical Negligence and Professional Negligence.
- 2015 edition: “Great attention to detail and particular strengths in high-value medical negligence claims.”
- 2016 edition: “An impressive ability to assimilate a lot of technical information very quickly.”
- 2017 edition: “Reliable and well organised.”
- 2018 edition: “A high calibre advocate.”
- 2019 edition: “Extremely reliable, quick-witted and efficient.”
She has also been ranked for clinical negligence in the 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 editions of Chambers UK Bar Guide.
- 2017 edition: “Very able and efficient. She’s insightful and good at analysing cases.” “She’s always very well prepared.”
- 2018 edition: “She grasps legal concepts very well, is very tenacious in court, gives very clear advice and is hands-on.” “She has a very broad grasp of how things work on both the defendant and claimant side and is very effective in reaching sensible settlements.”
- 2019 edition, ranked as a new silk: “Very knowledgeable and very thorough.”
- 2020 edition: “She is a thoughtful and diligent advocate.” “Her attention to detail is second to none. She’s also great with clients and is quick to spot issues.”
Una has a varied civil practice which covers a range of reparation and commercial disputes, although her main areas of practice are in personal injury and clinical negligence claims. She is instructed both for pursuers and for defenders and acts for clients ranging from individual litigants to insurers and public bodies. She is regularly instructed by the NHS Central Legal Office. She has extensive experience of high value personal injury claims including those involving catastrophic brain injuries. In the area of clinical negligence, she regularly acts in multi-million pound claims, including cerebral palsy cases.
She has been an Ad Hoc Advocate Depute since 2013, and in that role prosecutes criminal cases in the High Court.
She has been a Legal Assessor to the General Teaching Council of Scotland since 2017, advising panels on questions of law and procedure that arise in Fitness to Teach proceedings.
In 2017, she became a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators after completing an International Arbitration Law course at the University of Aberdeen.
Una took silk in 2018.
Recent selected cases:
Confidentiality prohibits the details of the numerous claims which have settled without recourse to the courts or in the course of proof.
- Decree of absolvitor for Greater Glasgow Health Board28 May, 2020
- Decree of absolvitor for Forth Valley Health Board13 May, 2020
- “Ampersand’s advocates attract praise for their ‘excellent depth and breadth of knowledge’” – in latest Legal 500 UK Bar listings29 October, 2018
- New Queen’s Counsel Appointments14 September, 2018
- Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide2 November, 2017