Great attention to detail and particular strengths in high-value medical negligence claimsLegal 500 UK
Una Doherty KC has been ranked in the 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021 editions of the Legal 500 UK Bar Directory for Personal Injury, Medical Negligence and Professional Negligence.
- 2015 edition: “Great attention to detail and particular strengths in high-value medical negligence claims.”
- 2016 edition: “An impressive ability to assimilate a lot of technical information very quickly.”
- 2017 edition: “Reliable and well organised.”
- 2018 edition: “A high calibre advocate.”
- 2019 edition: “Extremely reliable, quick-witted and efficient.”
- 2021 edition: “Una has an incredible eye for detail and getting into the minutiae of a case. She runs consultations, negotiations and court hearings very well, making her a go-to senior counsel.”
She has also been ranked for clinical negligence in the 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 editions of Chambers UK Bar Guide.
- 2017 edition: “Very able and efficient. She’s insightful and good at analysing cases.” “She’s always very well prepared.”
- 2018 edition: “She grasps legal concepts very well, is very tenacious in court, gives very clear advice and is hands-on.” “She has a very broad grasp of how things work on both the defendant and claimant side and is very effective in reaching sensible settlements.”
- 2019 edition, ranked as a new silk: “Very knowledgeable and very thorough.”
- 2020 edition: “She is a thoughtful and diligent advocate.” “Her attention to detail is second to none. She’s also great with clients and is quick to spot issues.”
- 2021 edition: “She is always extremely well prepared and is very thorough. She’s pragmatic and always puts the clients first.” “She is very meticulous, approachable and practical.”
- 2022 edition: “She is meticulous in her preparation and attention to detail. She turns around work extremely efficiently.” “She is extremely thorough and diligent.”
Una has a varied civil practice which covers a range of reparation and commercial disputes, although her main areas of practice are in personal injury and clinical negligence claims. She is instructed both for pursuers and for defenders and acts for clients ranging from individual litigants to insurers and public bodies. She is regularly instructed by the NHS Central Legal Office. She has extensive experience of high value personal injury claims including those involving catastrophic brain injuries. In the area of clinical negligence, she regularly acts in multi-million pound claims, including cerebral palsy cases.
She has been an Ad Hoc Advocate Depute since 2013, and in that role prosecutes criminal cases in the High Court.
She was a Legal Assessor to the General Teaching Council of Scotland from 2017 to 2021, advising panels on questions of law and procedure in Fitness to Teach proceedings.
In 2017, she completed an International Arbitration Law course at the University of Aberdeen, and was a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators from 2017 to 2021.
Una took silk in 2018.
In 2020, Una qualified as a mediator.
In 2021, Una was appointed as a Legally Qualified Chair by the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC). In that role Una chairs panels with social service and lay members to decide whether workers’ fitness to practise is impaired.
Recent selected cases:
Confidentiality prohibits the details of the numerous claims which have settled without recourse to the courts or in the course of proof.
- Determination by Sheriff Principal Duncan L Murray WS in the FAI into the death of Fearne Adger  FAI 1812 May, 2022
- Ampersand Advocates welcomes Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide 202221 October, 2021
- Ampersand’s Susanne Tanner QC and Una Doherty QC appointed as SSSC Legally Qualified Chairs9 June, 2021
- Decree of absolvitor for Forth Valley Health Board upheld by the Inner House5 April, 2021
- Ampersand establishes itself as a leading set in Scotland for qualified mediators23 February, 2021