Geoffrey D. Mitchell QC
Year of Call: 1992
He combines sharp attention to detail with empathy and sensitivity in the most challenging of casesChambers & Partners UK Bar Guide 2020
He is very calm, measured and extremely well organised. He is also always well prepared and very focused……Approachable and easy to work with. He really gets into the detail.Chambers & Partners UK Bar Guide 2021
Geoffrey Mitchell QC is an experienced litigator, with a wide ranging practice across a number of practice areas, with considerable experience in oral advocacy (at first instance and appellate level), in public and local inquiries and regulatory work.
Geoff’s inquiries experience includes fatal accident inquiries, the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry and the long running inquiry under the Merchant Shipping Act 1995 into the sinking of the trawler MFV ‘Trident’.
His regulatory experience includes a period as the Legal Assessor to the General Teaching Council for Scotland (2006 to 2012), and a panel member of the Faculty of Advocates’ Disciplinary Tribunal (2018 to present).
He has developed particular knowledge in clinical and professional negligence, acting for claimants and defenders.
Between 2001 and 2005, as an Advocate Depute and senior Advocate Depute (High Court prosecutor), he prosecuted serious and complex criminal cases.
In 2011 he was appointed Special Counsel to the Lord Justice General.
Between 2013 and 2015 he was the Director of Ampersand Advocates.
- Ampersand Advocates welcomes Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide 202221 October, 2021
- Ampersand Advocates Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide22 October, 2020
- Judicial review: the rule of law at heart?21 April, 2020
- Ampersand Advocates ‘goes above and beyond at all times’ in latest Legal 500 UK Bar listings26 September, 2019
- Brexit: a role for judicial review15 November, 2018