Geoffrey D. Mitchell QC
Year of Call: 1992
He combines sharp attention to detail with empathy and sensitivity in the most challenging of casesChambers & Partners UK Bar Guide 2020
He is very calm, measured and extremely well organised. He is also always well prepared and very focused……Approachable and easy to work with. He really gets into the detail.Chambers & Partners UK Bar Guide 2021
He has a wide range of experience in oral advocacy. Between 2001 and 2005, as an Advocate Depute and senior Advocate Depute (High Court prosecutor), he prosecuted serious and complex criminal cases. Since 2005 he has developed a special interest in clinical negligence (in which he is instructed both by claimants and Health Authorities) and professional negligence. He regularly appears in public and local inquiries. He appeared on behalf of the family of one of the deceased crewmen in the long running inquiry under the Merchant Shipping Act 1995 into the sinking of the trawler MFV Trident.
Between 2006 and 2012 he was the Legal Assessor to the General Teaching Council for Scotland. In 2011 he was appointed Special Counsel to the Lord Justice General.
Between 2013 and 2015 he was the Director of Ampersand Advocates.
He is an instructor on the Faculty of Advocates’ Foundation Course for intrants to the Scottish Bar, and is an assessor on the Faculty’s Quality Assurance Programme. He has sat on the Faculty’s Complaints Committee, and currently sits on the Faculty’s Disciplinary Tribunal, its Board of Examiners and its Admissions Committee.
- Ampersand Advocates Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide22 October, 2020
- Judicial review: the rule of law at heart?21 April, 2020
- Ampersand Advocates ‘goes above and beyond at all times’ in latest Legal 500 UK Bar listings26 September, 2019
- Brexit: a role for judicial review15 November, 2018
- Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide2 November, 2017