Aidan O’Neill QC
Year of Call: 1987
Silk: 1999 (Scotland) | 2017 (Eng & Wales)
0131 260 5674
He is extraordinarily able, and has astonishing depth and breadth of knowledge.Chambers & Partners
His breadth and depth of knowledge both in the law in English law, Scottish law and European law as well as international law is simply mind boggling.Legal 500
Queen’s Counsel at the Scottish Bar, Bar of England and Wales and Bar of Ireland. A wide ranging legal practice in both London and Edinburgh, with particular experience and expertise in commercial judicial review, environmental/Aarhus law and in employment/equality law. A specialist in EU law, in human rights law and in UK constitutional law. Awarded the Legal 500 UK Bar Award for Scottish Silk of the year for 2020 and EU law Silk of the year in 2015 and Scottish Legal Awards 2017, 2018 and 2019 Silk of the year.
A highly experienced pleader before the top courts. Senior counsel in almost thirty cases to date from across the UK before the UK Supreme Court/ House of Lords, as well before the Court of Justice of the European Union and the European Court of Human Rights.
Previously teaching fellow at Princeton and Edinburgh universities. Author of substantial academic articles, blog posts and legal practitioner texts.
Selected recent Cases
- Success in challenge to COVID-19 regulations closing all churches for congregational worship and private prayer25 March, 2021
- Ampersand’s Aidan O’Neill QC calls to Irish Bar17 December, 2020
- Ampersand Advocates Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide22 October, 2020
- Ampersand Advocates celebrate Legal 500 Scottish Bar Silk and Junior of the year successes5 March, 2020
- Aidan O’Neill QC featured in The Lawyer’s Hot 10028 January, 2020