Experienced in a range of personal injury and medical negligence claims.Legal 500
Simon Di Rollo QC called in 1987 and took silk in February 2002. He has appeared in many important cases in both the Civil and Criminal courts including Supreme Court/House of Lords and JSPC. He has extensive and wide-ranging experience in other courts and tribunals including the GMC, the Disciplinary Tribunal of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland and the Court of Arbitration for Sport at Lausanne. He has appeared in numerous Fatal Accident Inquiries and public inquiries. From 2010 to March 2012 he represented Patients Relatives and the Haemophilia Society in the Penrose Inquiry into contaminated blood and blood products. He was appointed Crown Counsel between 1997 and 2000 and has also appeared for the Crown numerous high profile cases since 2000. He lectured in civil procedure at the University of Edinburgh from 2000 until 2012 and was a member of the Sheriff Court Rules Council from 2002 until 2011. Since 2012 most of his work has been in the field of high value reparation in the Court of Session for both pursuers and defenders. He has particular expertise in industrial diseases. He is regularly instructed in clinical and professional negligence cases. Simon was admitted to the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators in 2017 and as a Fellow in September 2018.
In 2016 he was appointed as Director of the Quality Assurance Programme for the Faculty of Advocates. He has conducted numerous civil jury trials successfully. He is ranked Band 1 in Chambers 2017 for Personal Injury:
“A specialist in high-value and complex catastrophic injury claims. He has a broad practice covering industrial disease, employers’ liability and medical negligence claims.
Strengths: “He is eloquent and good on his feet, delivering his point very well.” “He has a very good commercial head on him which insurers appreciate.” “He is excellent at knowing the tactics the other team will employ.”
- Ampersand Advocates ‘goes above and beyond at all times’ in latest Legal 500 UK Bar listings26 September, 2019
- Simon Di Rollo QC secures victory for cyclists injured on tram rails on the street section of the Edinburgh tram system17 July, 2019
- The ayes have it in ‘fascinating’ rape debate29 November, 2018
- “Ampersand’s advocates attract praise for their ‘excellent depth and breadth of knowledge’” – in latest Legal 500 UK Bar listings29 October, 2018
- Kay Gibson and Others v Babcock International Limited  CSOH 78 – Secondary Exposure and Secondary Evidence3 September, 2018