“Tim is an outstanding advocate - one of the best at the Scottish Bar. He is well-rounded, meaning that both his written work and advocacy skills are equally as strong. Clients also love him.”(Legal 500, Property, Planning and Construction – Band 1)
‘He is one of the best advocates at the Bar. He is very bright and very user-friendly’ (Chambers (2023) – Commercial Dispute Resolution)
‘Timothy is absolutely superb and provides good client service.’ (Chambers (2023) – Company)
‘Tim is excellent. He is regularly instructed in public law matters and his written work is exceptional.’ (Chambers (2023) – Administrative and Public Law)
‘He is a fierce advocate who you want on your side in a contentious matter.’ (Legal 500 (2023) – Property, Planning and Construction, Band 1)
‘Timothy is extremely commercial, and takes time to understand the client’s objectives and the wider context of the dispute. He is excellent under pressure and he is extremely robust. His written work is clear and persuasive, and he is equally impressive on his feet.’ (Legal 500 (2023) – Commercial Disputes, Band 2)
‘‘Timothy has a pragmatic approach to cases. He is an extremely safe pair of hands.’ (Legal 500 (2023) – Administrative and Public Law, Band 2)
Tim Young is a leading junior counsel with particular emphasis on commercial and public law disputes.
He has acted in many of the largest commercial disputes of recent years and has a wide range of experience in commercial contract disputes (particularly construction and IT contracts), trusts, property (including agricultural and crofting matters), banking, insolvency, and intellectual property.
He also has substantial experience of judicial review and statutory appeals in the field of public and administrative law, particularly public procurement disputes and professional discipline matters. As well as appearing in Court, he has appeared in a wide variety of tribunals, committees, and disciplinary hearings.
Tim is, also, a Standing Junior Counsel to the Scottish Government, and regularly appears in the courts for the Scottish Government.
He graduated with a first class honours from the University of Strathclyde. Throughout his career, he has maintained links with academia through tutoring Business Entities and Constitutional Law at both the University of Edinburgh and Napier University, and as an external examiner at Robert Gordon University. He is the contributing editor for the Companies Law (reissue) volume of The Laws of Scotland: Stair Memorial Encyclopaedia, and is the Deputy Editor of Session Cases.
- Administrative & Public Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Banking, Finance and Pensions
- Civil Liberties, Human Rights and EU Law
- Clinical Liability
- Commercial Dispute Resolution
- Competition, Procurement and Regulation
- Information Technology
- Media and Information Law
- Professional Liability
- Real Estate Litigation
- Trusts and Succession
- Ampersand Advocates continues Top Rankings success in 2023 Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide20 October, 2022
- Ampersand Advocates ranked as top tier set by Legal 500 in 2023 guide4 October, 2022
- Ampersand Advocates welcomes Top Rankings success in latest Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide 202221 October, 2021
- Ampersand Advocates ranked as top tier set by Legal 50018 October, 2021
- Liquidators of RFC 2012 Plc v. Clark and Whitehouse  CSOH 997 October, 2021