SPLGELBG event: The Roy Martin QC Winter Seminar 2022
* Scottish Planning, Local Government and Environmental Law Bar Group event *
- The Fourth National Planning Framework (NPF4)
A Round Table Discussion
with Steven Black of JLL, David Givan of the City of Edinburgh Council,
Liz Hamilton of Homes for Scotland and Simon Herriot of Savills;
Chaired by James Findlay KC
- Case Law Update
Nick McAndrew, Advocate
Followed by the SPLGELBG Annual Champagne Reception in the Laigh Hall, Parliament House, from 5.45pm to 8pm.
There is no charge for attending however prior booking is necessary.
To reserve a space at the seminar, reception or both, please contact Emma Caskie-Potter:
Tel: 0131 260 5830 | Email: email@example.com
Places strictly limited – first come first served
HYBRID EVENT with the SYLA – So you want to be an Advocate?
The Scottish Young Lawyers’ Association (SYLA), in partnership with Ampersand Advocates, is hosting an event for those interested in becoming an Advocate.
Have you ever wondered what life is like as an Advocate? How do you make that jump from life as a solicitor or trainee? What should you know before doing so?
Attendees will hear from Advocates at various stages of their career at the bar: The Lord Advocate Dorothy Bain QC, Usman Tariq, Mary Ellen Stewart and current devil Ayla Iridag. They will talk about their journey to the Bar, their experiences and they will share their tips for those considering a career as an Advocate.
There will be an opportunity to ask the panel members questions at the end of the event.
This is a hybrid event with a limited number of places available for in-person attendance on a first come first service basis.
The recording of this event can be viewed here.
The Scottish Planning Local Government & Environmental Law Bar Group Summer Seminar
Chaired by Ampersand’s Marcus McKay QC, the Seminar will feature talks by James Welch and Pol MacDonald of OPEN on masterplanning of communities in the 21st Century and Susan Denyer of ICOMOS-UK on world heritage. Graham Dunlop, Advocate, will provide an update on recent case law.
Space is limited.
Women in the Law UK Scottish Event – Wellbeing in the Law and Workplace
Ampersand’s Susanne Tanner QC is co-hosting the Women in the Law UK Scottish conversation on Wellbeing in Work/Life.
The distinguished and experienced panel of speakers will consider:
• work/life harmony
• flexible working
• finding some time for active rest and taking stock
• flexing the rules at work
• top tips for stress management
• bringing your health goals to work
• the benefits of therapeutic counselling
• looking after others
• tips for wellbeing and mental health at work
• and more…
After the speakers contributions there will be an opportunity for Q&A, open conversation and meeting the speakers and other guests over a drinks’ reception.
Women, men, advocates, solicitors, academic, students and supporters all welcome.
Attendance at the event is free for members and students; £10 for non-members, with voluntary charitable donations to Lawcare/SAMH. Guests must pre-register online here.
Ampersand Advocates Summer Clinical Negligence Seminar 2019
Our annual Clinical Negligence seminar for 2019 took place on 17th June 2019.
Chaired by Vinit Khurana QC, the programme was:
- 9:40am – Registration, tea and coffee
- 9.55am – Welcome and opening remarks from Chair, Vinit Khurana QC
- 10am – Dr Alex Stirling, Consultant in Public Health Medicine, from the CMOS’ department “Realistic Medicine”.
- 10:35am – Euan Mackenzie QC “Procedural issues in clinical negligence litigation”
- 11:10am to 11:40am – Break
- 11:40am – Archie MacSporran, advocate on “The introduction of periodical payment orders”
- 12:15pm – Dr John Millar, Consultant radiologist on “In the dark? – The philosophy of error”
- 12:50pm to 1.45pm – Lunch
- 1:45pm – Dr Stephen Hearns, Consultant in Emergency Medicine “Decision making under pressure”
- 2:20pm – Isla Davie, advocate with a Case law update
- 3pm to 3.30pm – Break
- 3:30pm – Dr Sarah Cooper, Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, “Is my baby normal?”
- 4pm – Closing remarks & questions
- 4.05pm to 5pm – Drinks and Social hour
As part of our commitment to this area of practice there was no charge to attend this event.
Society of Advocates in Aberdeen Lunchtime seminar: Quantum In Serious Injury Cases
Society of Advocates in Aberdeen event
Ampersand advocates Lisa Henderson QC and Louise Milligan, Advocate on Quantum In Serious Injury Cases.
This session will cover some of the issues that arise in assessing quantum in serious injury cases – such as life expectancy, the Ogden Tables, care and case management costs etc.
See Society of Advocates in Aberdeen’s website for details here.