26 September, 2019
Ampersand Advocates ‘goes above and beyond at all times’ in latest Legal 500 UK Bar listings
Ampersand is delighted to be once again be recommended as a top-tier set by The Legal 500 UK Bar Directory in their latest listings for 2019 published today.
The guide says “‘From a user’s perspective’, Ampersand Advocates ‘goes above and beyond at all times to assist wherever possible’. Like the other Scottish stables, a diverse range of work comes through its doors, however, tort, real estate, and commercial matters are key strengths, and arbitration is a growing area of focus. ‘All the clerks are friendly, accommodating and very professional’, however at the most senior level Alan Moffat ‘will go out of his way to make sure you get the right counsel for the job’, and his deputy Sheena Hume is ‘particularly efficient and easy to deal with’. Vinit Khurana QC and Una Doherty QC took silk in 2018.”
Ampersand has 36 listings across 10 areas of practice in the Legal 500 UK 2019 guide. The Scottish bar section can be viewed here.
Civil liberties, human rights, public inquiries, and public and administrative law (including local government)
Key areas of work at Ampersand Advocates include EU law, judicial review, and procurement matters. Aidan O’Neill QC recently lead on behalf of the petitioners in Wightman v Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, an Court of Justice of the European Union case concerning if it was possible for a member state to revoke its notification of intent to leave the European Union under Article 50.
Aidan O’Neill QC
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Intellectually impressive and creative in his approach to dealing with issues of public law. ’
Douglas Ross QC
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Highly intelligent and tenacious, with good common sense ’
Dorothy Bain QC
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Highly recommended for civil liberties work. ’
Laura-Anne van der Westhuizen
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ A first-class legal mind who deals well with complicated cases. ’
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Technically excellent in public procurement matters. ’
Ampersand Advocates is home to a strong contingent of commercial litigators, with experience in a wide range of commercial cases. Notable recent highlights include Take-Two Interactive Software Inc and Rockstar Games Inc v Aaron Renicks, in which Usman Tariq acts, as junior to Roddy Dunlop QC for the developers of Grand Theft Auto who are pursuing a claim against the developer of a modification for the game. Giles Reid recently acted for the borrower in a case concerning the oral variation of a loan agreement, as well as interim orders preventing the lender from commencing bankruptcy.
Alan Dewar QC
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Hugely experienced, completely unflappable and always fights his client’s corner. ’
Robert Howie QC
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ His depth of knowledge in commercial matters is unparalleled. ’
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Never afraid to take on even the largest of legal challenges. ’
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ A legal encyclopaedia. ’
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ His advice and knowledge is consistently of the highest standard. ’
Company and insolvency
Members of Ampersand Advocates are particularly experienced in insolvency matters, acting for all parties in such cases. Of recent note, Timothy Young recently acted for the liquidators in Rowallan Asset Management Limited v Morris & Co, which involved a claim for gratuitous alienation (a transfer under value to dissipate assets) relating to a large agricultural property holding company.
David Sellar QC
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ His technical knowledge of company and insolvency law makes him a go-to. ’
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Clients appreciate his confident yet approachable demeanour. ’
Russell Bradley of Ampersand Advocates acts for employers in a wide range of first instance matters, with particular expertise of defending whistle-blowing and unfair dismissal claims.
Russell Bradley – Ampersand Advocates ‘ Extremely tenacious when needed and great with clients. ’
Intellectual property, information technology and media
Usman Tariq at Ampersand Advocates is highly recommended for contentious intellectual property matters, as well as maintaining a substantial presence in the IT sector, particularly in matters concerning gaming and digital applications. Recent instructions include a substantial trade mark infringement and passing off dispute between two manufacturers of electronic cigarettes, where Tariq acted for the pursuers, as well as conducting breach of interdict cases on behalf of large rights-holders such as Sky and the Performing Right Society.
Usman Tariq – Ampersand Advocates ‘ The best all-round IP junior in Scotland. ’
Personal injury and medical negligence
Ampersand Advocates is home to one of the key teams in personal injury and clinical negligence within Scotland, and has ‘real strength in depth’ across all levels of call. Members have significant expertise in all areas of such work, with recent cases including fatal accidents, medical device litigation, catastrophic injury and birth injury. A notable recent case for the set is Gibson v Babcock International, a leading case on the issue of secondary exposure to asbestos, in which Simon Di Rollo QC led for the pursuers.
Lisa Henderson QC
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Highly numerate, excellent at drafting complex schedules of loss and very personable. ’
Geoffrey Mitchell QC
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Highly respected by both health boards and claimant solicitors ’
Douglas Ross QC
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ A relatively new silk who already posesses all the qualities of an experienced one. ’
Simon Bowie QC
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Recommended for significant clinical negligence cases. ’
Una Doherty QC
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Extremely reliable, quick-witted and efficient. ’
Maria Maguire QC
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Combines superb advocacy skills and a forensic attention for detail. ’
Simon Di Rollo QC
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Highly experienced in industrial disease claims. ’
Lauren Sutherland QC
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Leaves no stone unturned to find a path to a successful outcome. ’
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Fantastic at dealing with complex medical evidence and technical details. ’
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Well-prepared, good with clients and has an eye for detail. ’
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ A very safe pair of hands with good commercial sense. ’
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ A strong negotiator who has achieved fantastic results for clients.
Planning, environmental and licensing
Ampersand Advocates is home to planning law specialists Marcus McKay QC and Laura-Anne van der Westhuizen, who are often instructed in complex or high-profile inquiries and appeals. Notable recent highlights include McKay’s representation of The Viking Wind Farm in a consent application under crofting legislation, and Westhuizen’s work on behalf of the Scottish ministers in an appeal lodged by a dairy farm following the refusal of planning permission for a large greenbelt development.
Marcus McKay QC
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Highly experienced in energy-related planning work. ’
Members of Ampersand Advocates are instructed by both pursuers and defenders in professional negligence cases, across the full range of industry sectors. Recent highlights include Midlothian Council v Bracewell Stirling, where Paul Reid acted as a junior to Alastair Duncan QC on behalf of the defenders, an architectural firm alleged to be liable for negligent ground investigations carried out by another company.
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ One to watch for professional negligence matters. ’
Property, construction and agriculture
Members of Ampersand Advocates are instructed in a wide range of commercial development and property disputes, as well as agricultural issues and nuisance claims. Timothy Young recently advised the defenders on several potential cases concerning property damage caused by incorrectly constituted mortar in the development of a large residential estate.
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Definitely one to watch for property litigation. ’
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ Exceptionally intelligent with a gift for honing in on the points that matter. ’
Tax, trusts and pensions
Ross Anderson at Ampersand Advocates has significant experience acting for HM Revenue and Customs in both the First-Tier and Upper Tribunals. He also appeared as appearing as a junior to Kieron Beal QC of Blackstone Chambers in London, again on behalf of the Revenue, in the Supreme Court case Frank A Smart & Sons v HMRC, which concerned the deductability of VAT incurred when purchasing entitlements to the Single Farm Payment, a European Union farming subsidy.
– Ampersand Advocates ‘ He has made a sure-footed transition from academia to the Bar. ’
Back to News & Events